New-SCSMIncident Alternate Contact Method

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Would it be possible to add to the aforementioned Cmdlet so that one can specify an alternate contact method?

Our helpdesk is often contacted by email, and ca. 1/3 of those are not in the AD, hence SCSM will not accept them as such.

The way I see it I need to script my way out of it, but if I cannot add the email address as an alternate contact it will have to be added manually (on top of adding the affected user manually).

My company is considering adopting SCSM, and I am currently on the team testing it out. Most of our users are not tightly coupled with their AD account (students at a major business school), and often contact the helpdesk via private email. 

Developer
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:32 PM

you should be able to use the set-scsmobject cmdlet to update this field. First retrieve the incident instance and then update the ContactMethod property. Here's an example: 

PS# get-scsmobject System.WorkItem.Incident$ -filter "DisplayName -eq 'CustomIR17348'"|ft displayname,contactmethod -au

DisplayName   ContactMethod
-----------   -------------
CustomIR17348 

PS# get-scsmobject System.WorkItem.Incident$ -filter "DisplayName -eq 'CustomIR17348'" |set-scsmobject -PropertyHashtable @{ ContactMethod = "Administrator@WOODGROVE.COM"}
PS# get-scsmobject System.WorkItem.Incident$ -filter "DisplayName -eq 'CustomIR17348'"|ft displayname,contactmethod -au

DisplayName   ContactMethod
-----------   -------------
CustomIR17348 Administrator@WOODGROVE.COM

That should get you forward.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Awesome, and thanks for the quick response. Works like a charm!