Remote SMLets Process

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I read on the documentation page that there is a -ServerName switch for working with a remote server, however I was not able to get any of the cmdlets to recognize the switch.

My goal is to have the SMLets on Service Manager Console workstations, using them to create tasks that our console users can benefit from. I find two problems:

1) Inability to load the module on SM console workstations due to lack of SDK Binaries on the client (Core, ServiceManager, Packaging)

2) Inability to remotely execute the SMLets against a remote SCSM server from console workstation

I'm sure this is possible, but wanted to know the best process to make this happen. I was able to copy the dll files to the console to get Import-Module to work, but it looks for a local Data Access Service. I cannot get it to redirect to the server.

Keep up the great work, though. These are powerful tools!

Your assistance is appreciated.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Update: I saw that the documentation was updated to reflect the -ComputerName command (note that the get-help pages still show ServerName).

It would be helpful to have more information on setting this package up for a remote SCSM Console user. I cannot load the SMLets module without the SCSM server dlls located in the local machine SDK Binaries folder (copied them down for testing). Is this the appropriate method? 

Testing...

Developer
Sep 17, 2010 at 5:29 AM

I think that this approach is probably fine. Getting the DLLs into place is really what matters. When I was creating these, I was really thinking of running them on a server. I was thinking that the -ComputerName parameter was more along the lines of interacting with multiple servers (and limited interaction at that).